Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Eve

If you follow me on Facebook, you are already aware of the eventful Thanksgiving Eve we had at our house. Let me just say that it was one-of-a-kind...history in the making for the Flint Household!

I'll let the cat out of the bag from the get-go and show you the picture...To answer the questions running through your mind right now:

1. No - Allen was not doing a redneck brake job
2. No - we were not trying to put new tires on ourselves because we are just that frugal
3. Yes - that is our neighbors brick from her landscaping
4. No - we do not live in downtown Los Angeles
5. Yes - this is how we started our Thanksgiving Eve day at the crack of dawn

So....what did happen? We got hit. We were the victims of useless boys who prowl the streets at 2 am looking for someone to violate. I hate crime and I hate satan.

My husband walks out the door at 6:45 am to start his car and this is what he found. He couldn't even speak when he walked back into the house and motioned for me to 'come' with one hand.

We had just purchased those tires - they weren't even two months old. However, they did leave us one. Apparently something spooked them since the last tire was half off with the lug nuts in the grass. Yippee - one tire left!

Why am I writing this blog? To share with you our frustrations so you can share in our anger? No. So that you will feel sorry for us and speak curses to those that did this? No. In case you find three wheels for sale on the black market and can return them to us? Yes! (hehe!)

Seriously now, the reason I just have to share this is because of my husband's response not more than 45 minutes after the incident was discovered.

Since it was the big Thanksgiving luncheon at work and so that he didn't have to take a vacation day, I took him to work. I had a gazillion (yes, that is a word!) things to do and needed my car. So, here we are in the car alone. I'm still peeved. The tears keep rolling down my cheek totally out of my control. I feel this righteous indignation well up within me. I'm as pale as a ghost. My hands are quivering from my internal shakiness. I'm wondering what financial predicament this puts us in.

My husband? He is all smiles...like a little school boy. WHY???

He turns to me and says, "Honey, why are you so upset?" At this point, I was ready to give him the one-two with my fist! How in the world could he ask me such a stupid question? Is it not obvious - is he not in cahoots with me? Well, no, he wasn't.

The next sentence out of his mouth left me baffled. Angry at first, then convicted, completely amazed and lastly...totally speechless (and for me to be speechless is quite the feat!).

With an all-teeth smile on his face, he lovingly comments, "It's a good day, sweetie. It's crazy but what's done is done. It could have been a lot worse. They could have broke into the house. No one got hurt and it's just money. We are blessed, hon."

There you have it. My husband - the epitome of a natural-born optimist. This is definitely one of those moments when I can say that I wish I were more like him. What an incredible outlook. He sure does challenge me - in a healthy, spiritual way.

Thanks, babe, for bringing perspective to a horrible situation. You are right. Everyone is safe and we do have insurance. Although our money tree out back is dry, God has always provided for us. I have no doubt that He will come through with flying colors in this situation, too.

I am so blessed to be able to spend the rest of my life with you...you are the best :)

2 comments:

  1. Eternal perspective...sounds like he's got it down. It changes everything because it changes how we perceive and process everything! God is good and His goodness is forever. So much falls by the wayside when we can keep this truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is amazing and you really are blessed!

    ReplyDelete