Saturday, November 20, 2010

Southwest Skillet

One of my closest friends, Crystal, gave me this recipe last week. Even though my family is not thrilled with beans and rice mixed in with other foods, everyone absolutely loved this recipe! It is so easy and quick to fix.

Southwest Skillet

1 lb ground beef - seasoned
1 T chili powder
10 oz beef broth
1/4 c water
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used navy beans but I'm sure any kind would be fine)
3/4 c uncooked instant brown rice
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

Cook ground beef with chili powder and seasonings; drain fat. Stir in broth, water, tomatoes, and beans. Heat to a boil. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in rice. Cover and let stand 5 minutes or so. Top with cheese.

Serve with tortilla chips, flour tortillas or eat it just as it is! Can top with sour cream and salsa for even more flavor!

Thank you, Crystal, for sharing the recipe and for the beautiful picture!

1 comment:

  1. It sure does look good, but I just don't like rice at all, except in sushi. I'm sure it's wonderful.
    You're a great cook honey.
    Love ya
    Mom

    ReplyDelete