Friday, November 26, 2010

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I'm really kind of shocked but rather pleased. Even in my ripe age of 43, my daughter wants to look just like me! What I think is so funny is that I felt the same way she does when I was her age. My mom and I shared clothes, shoes and purses. I can even remember being upset with my mom when she chopped all her hair off without telling me. I was left with long hair while she had short hair. I wanted to be just like her (of course she took me to the salon the very next day!)

Victoria is the same way. We both picked up the same shirt in different colors at the same time! Whenever I buy a piece of clothing, she always asks if it is for her, too. There are some things that look too mature for her, but for the most part, we share shirts, skirts and some pants (can't do shoes since her foot is bigger than mine!) I bought myself a sweater dress about three weeks ago in off-white at the mall. Yesterday, she bought the exact same dress in purple at Kohl's! After we got home and kept looking at her dress, we decided that it looked very familiar. Then I remembered my dress (since the weather hasn't been cold enough, I hadn't worn it yet, so it actually slipped my mind!) Sure enough, we are twins again!If I straighten my hair, she wants hers straightened. When I curl mine, she is at my door waiting for her turn. The day before we left on our vacation to California, I had 8" of my hair cut off. I walked in the door and Victoria had the same look I had with my mom 30 years ago. She wanted her hair layered, thinned and styled like mine! Within hours, I had her back at the same salon so we both ended up sporting new 'dos' for our westward bound trip!

So, history repeats itself in the Flint house and if the truth be known, I am rather honored at her desire to mimic me. I know one day all of this will change and I will truly be "too old" for her style. For right now, though, I am going to sit back with a smile on my face and try not to get upset when I can't find my favorite shirt in my closet!

2 comments:

  1. Great post honey. Yes I do remember those wonderful times, I was actually small enough that we traded lots of clothes, and yes, it was a rare, great compliment to know that you wanted to look like me, so enjoy.
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete