Friday, July 16, 2010

True Friends

Acquaintances. Casual friends. Game-playing friends. Dinner friends. School friends. Church friends. Facebook friends. Blogging friends. Good friends. Best friends for life.

There are many different categories to place those people in your life that have a kind word to say to you once in a blue moon or those that will go to the ends of the earth for you without ever batting an eyelash.

I laugh every time I see someone on Facebook that has 800 or more friends. Do they really know each and every one of those people? Will they ever make contact with them again on Facebook after the friend request has been sent? Will they make an effort to write on each person's wall at least once a month or is it just a numbers game?

We all want friends - and lots of them, but it takes a person going through a rough patch in their life to find out who their true friends are. It's not just a cliche' - it's truth...100%.

Much to my joy, I have had the privilege of experiencing this in my personal life. I have several really close friends that I have known for years - perennials in my life. But I didn't realize the volume of people that actually cared about me (and showed it) until my kidney stone episodes.

Other than delivering three children cesarean, I have been extremely healthy my entire life - no broken bones, no stitches (until this Mother's Day-sniff, sniff), no health issues, no physical problems and no overnight hospital stays.

When these stones made their ugly appearance in my life, it was so comforting to find out just how many friends I really did have. My husband and I had a difficult time keeping up with the emails, texts, phone calls and facebook messages! The concerns were valid and sincere and the bounty of prayers coming in were just enormous!

It felt good...people really do care.

I am still smiling about my Sunday happenings. I enjoyed being there since I had been absent for three weeks; however, I couldn't get anywhere. I was stopped by people swarming around me every 15 feet! The questions, the concern, the smiles, the gentle touch on the shoulder and the warm hugs. I couldn't believe it - I truly had no idea I had that many friends.

I finally walked into service 15 minutes late and just stood there laughing (all by myself!) I was late because people cared. God placed me on their hearts and they needed a reassurance as to my good health.

I was late because God loves me!

So, to all my friends in every aspect of my life and in every state I've ever lived...thank you. Thank you for your sweet comments, precious words, encouraging phone calls, uplifting emails and wonderful facebook messages! Most of all - thank you for interceding on my behalf to our Father.

Now it's your turn.

Have you told a friend today what a blessing they are?

Have you thanked God for bringing those friends into your life?

If you haven't, don't let today end without sharing an encouraging word or even just a smile. You truly have no idea how much that friend may need it.

1 comment:

  1. It is such a blessing to have true friends like that and it also serves as a great reminder to be a true friend. thanks for sharing.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete