Thursday, February 25, 2010

Your Journey Toward Frugality

Ready to become a savings sleuth? Then you have landed at the right place...let's get you started on your frugal journey to fattening your wallet! (the one thing you DO want to fatten!) Miserly Moms is an invaluable book that should take residence on your bookshelf. She will highlight some of the simple ways to cut costs like turning down the thermostat, reviewing your phone plans, joining a carpool, sharing a restaurant meal, ordering water instead of soda and many, many more.

However, this blog will be dedicated to the art of coupon cutting only. If you feel that it is not worth your time pretending you are in second grade again with a pair of scissors in your hand, then be prepared for a paradigm shift!

God obviously cares about our finances since the book of Proverbs list hundreds of scripture verses that instruct us how to use our money wisely. It is also our parental duty to be Godly examples to our children - being a wise steward of our dollars will not only bring you peace of mind but provide a generational blessing. I'll never forget the day my 10 year old asked me if I would tell his wife about coupons and how to use them! He has already seen the benefits and the joy that saving the bucks can bring to a family.

Before you begin drowning yourself in a sea of coupon clipping, sale shopping, store hopping and rebate mailing, I suggest you take it one step at a time and do some research first.

Some Internet investigation on the topic would serve you well at this time. Read other blogs and talk with parents who have already ventured down this path as networking is essential. Educate yourself - remember that knowledge is power. Learn the lingo, memorize the codes and understand the abbreviations. All of this is important because the more you know, the more you can save.

The second step is to subscribe to some email loops that have a daily digest. These are emails that will come directly to your inbox with all the weekly sales spelled out for you. They have already done the intense legwork of matching up the sale ads with a coupon; sometimes even providing you with a coupon link! Here are a couple digests that have helped me tremendously:

www.dealseekingmom.com

www.simplesavingsavvy.blogspot.com

Now it's time to subscribe to your Sunday newspaper. If you're not already a subscriber, check online first to see if you can get a discount on a yearly subscription. I just googled "discount newspapers" and was able to get 60% off the newstand price. Once you start seeing the advantages of cutting coupons, you will want multiple papers. You can either purchase them at a gas station or begin asking your neighbors, families and friends for their coupons that are most likely headed for the trash!

What now? Time to store and organize those little babies! I have personally graduated from the recipe box and '$2.99 coupon organizer' to a zippered 3-ring binder with baseball card holders. Though this may seem a bit eccentric, it keeps everything secure, organized and available at a glance. You can make up your own tabs to best suit your buying habits. I keep my binder in the car and carry it with me each time I shop.
Try to have your coupons cut and filed by Monday so that you are ready to make your store list from the ads, match and pull your coupons and be ready to shop the beginning of the week. If you wait till the end of the week or weekend, you take the chance of the store selling out of the sale item. This has happened to me several times and is quite frustrating! Having an organization method is vital to using coupons efficiently. The most important thing to remember is that the more organized you are at home, the quicker and more successful your shopping trips will be. Remember...time IS money!
After I have perused the ads, I get a small pad of paper and write the store name at the top that I will be visiting. With four columns, I write the item that is on sale, the price, the value of my "Q" and what my final price will be. (strange as it is, "Q" is the abbreviation for coupon!) My first store that I frequent is usually the business that will double my coupon. If you have a similar store, I suggest that you shop there weekly if not daily! Be very careful of stores that double coupons...most of the time their non-sale products are higher priced. Usually the front and back of their ads will be the "loss leaders" - the items that are an incredible deal. Their goal is to 'lead' you into the store in hopes that you will get 'lost' and buy other items that are not on your list or on sale. Do not fall into that trap! Stick to your list and buy only what is on sale.

The last step is to find your coupons from your binder for the items on your list. I pull all pertinent coupons and then paperclip them to my grocery list - remember, organization starts at home!

Now...you are prepared. Your mind is clear. Your senses are keen. Your wits are at an all-time high. You have your armor, shield and sword. Prepare your carriage and make straightway for your designated coordinates! Actually...a four-door vehicle with your coupon binder and list would be much faster! If at all possible, shop solo without being pressed for time. I usually mess up when I'm in a rush or have children with me!

WHEW!!!

I pray that you have not found this blog overwhelming or daunting but challenging and encouraging. Anyone can do what I have explained here and shown you in pictures. It will benefit your family, put a HUGE smile on your face and possibly give you the opportunity to share God's love with a family in need. I have no doubts that in the very near future, you will have a receipt that says you saved 100%!

Now, go forth, shop and be blessed!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY.... my cousin, Leigh Ann (from Edmond ;) ) got me in touch with your blog. Looks good (love the color. I LOVE couponing and finding great deals.

    I'm in the DFW area.... plan to start following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everytime I hear you explain this, it re-energizes me to do more couponing! Thanks for taking the time and doing this blog!
    Love ya!
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome LL - always happy to meet fellow couponers! Thanks for the warm fuzzies and what a great cousin you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rhonda,
    LOVE your site!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am a crazy coupon lady! I love to go to CVS and pay 5 cents! I can get out of Homeland sometimes for under $10, but never got my receipt to say 100%! That will be my new goal. Glad I found your blog, I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful page...it looks like a fancy invitation to a tea party!! Great info. - thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rhonda,
    I'm Jane's mom, we've met in our TT group; not sure if you remember me, but...I have a question. I do not use coupons often, but am curious as to how you use your notebook/file system? I am very, very brand loyal, so for me, I don't care if I have a coupon or not, I buy what I will use. *BUT* now that I have a college student and a high school senior graduating, both whom live or will live away from home, I'd like to purchase items for them that cost me little to nothing, as you've done with your creative couponing. I'd love more info, if you don't mind. TIA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jane - you didn't leave your email addy, so if you want to contact me directly, you can reach me at 2plus3wonders@sbcglobal.net

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete