Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Proud Mama!

We are constantly working on projects in our home. Since my kids are home schooled, I seek opportunities to expand their horizons and challenge them in areas where they feel they are insecure. Within the last few months, my youngest has been accomplished two major projects. He completed his Chess Badge with our boys church group which included learning the strategy of the game, compiling a hand-written one page report and answering six pages of questions about the history of Chess! Last month he completely designed a huge ship out of Legos and wrote a 200 word essay on how he designed it. The trusty postman securely delivered his entry to the Lego company in hopes of winning the grand prize!

My daughter, who is profoundly deaf, just finished her first oral/visual presentation on the country of Italy for her Friends class at church. She did an incredible job as she presented her poster board and verbal speech to her Sunday School class.

Now comes the reason for this blog...her first written report for an American Girl contest. The entry had to be 1000 words about why nature inspires you accompanied by five photos of nature taken by the girl. Grammar is the one subject that Victoria struggles in - for obvious reasons. As much as I teach, correct, encourage, correct, demand and correct, it just doesn't come easy for her! Of course we all know what a little motivation can do for a person! When she saw what the prizes were, she was all over this little project! For days, she skipped her morning breaks so that she could work on this paper. She wrote while she ate, worked on it in the car and even opted out of a movie to keep her focus on the prize set before her.

It is with great pride that I share with you all my daughter's report along with one of her photos. I can honestly say that I helped her very little with this essay. I was surprised at her choice of words and the desire to want to write about her deafness. God is good and the timing was perfect...celebrate with me a turning point in my daughter's life:

"I Am Inspired by Nature When…"

I see the beautiful things in the world that God created!

I was born with a profound hearing loss. I can’t hear things with my ears like everyone else does. Instead, I pay attention with my eyes and sometimes see things that other people may miss.

I have a little brother who is deaf too. He was born with a moderate hearing loss. My mom is our interpreter. She signs for me and my brother at home, church and anywhere else needed. My brother and I love to sit outside and enjoy God’s view and feel the wind. Birds, horses and dogs are my favorite animals that God created. I like to watch the birds fly around, have dogs play with me and horses neighing like saying “hello” to me!
I like to smell all flowers because it makes me feel good on the inside and brings me peace. My favorite flower is a dark red or pink rose. I also like daisies and moon flowers because they are great to watch move in the wind. God made lots of flowers and I am so thankful for them. I even like to cut the flowers and put them in a small, pretty vase so we can bring nature inside. Spring is my favorite season because the birds are singing again, flowers are blooming and the trees and grass turn green.

I wish that God would heal me. When he does, I will run, praise Him and even cry! For now I will just be myself and thank God for everything He has done for me.

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome Victoria! Rhonda you should be a proud mamma hold your head VERY high because you have raised one incredible girl! You inspire me to be a better mom! She should definately win a nice price! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my precious baby, how beautifully said. I am so very very proud of you, you write as beautiful as you're sweet Mama.
    Keep it going sweetheart, I just know you have lots more to say about everything.
    I love you soooooo much,
    Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was very inspiring. For a young girl to have so much insite to the things around her. I surely hope she wins the prize she is after. but she still has God on her side.

    Your mothers old friend Lyn Slaven

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such heart-felt words - I am very proud of what you have shared!

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victoria,
    You are God's most precious daughter - He sings and dances over you because you love Him so much! I am so proud of you, Victoria, you do hear God's voice -keep believing and being your self - you inspire many of us. Love you so much!
    One of your greatest fans - Jo McGuffin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Victoria this is very good and I wish my deaf parents were alive so they read how beautifully this was written.
    Love Tim

    ReplyDelete