Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Childlike Heart


Please forgive me but I just can't do it. I know I said that today I would talk more about coupons and how to save money, but that will have to wait untill tomorrow or possibly another day...

I have to share what is fresh on my heart. I just can't quit thinking about my devotion from this morning. I read it and then just sat there. I re-read it four times. I read it to my children, I read it to a friend, I read to my husband and I posted it on Facebook but I HAVE to blog about it as well!

The scripture verse is from I Samuel 3:9..."God's eyes still roam over the earth looking for attentive, submissive hearts so He can show himself strong and mighty on our behalf. Let's ask God for the blessing of a childlike heart such as young Samuel had, so that when the Lord calls our name, we, too can answer, "Speak, Lord for your servant is listening." I couldn't believe it. Once again the Lord just reached right into my heart and rattled my cage! He is watching us right now - His eyes are literally roaming about the earth trying to find every individual He can that has an attentive, submissive heart.

When we sat down to have our devotions together, my youngest said, "Momma, why are you so happy?" As I shared what was on my heart, my excitement level started to climax and then the drama took over. Now, those of you that are close to me, know how animated I can get. Since I sign every story I read to my deaf children, I am a one-man show in my own little theatrical world! It keeps their attention and brings the stories to life; since they don't hear the inflection of my voice, they need to see it in my body language and facial expressions.

I was mimicking what I thought God looked like as He was scanning the earth for humble hearts. As His eyes search, He ponders the thoughts of the beings He created. He begins to pick the 'special' ones -- those that have a listening heart. Those that are soft and teachable. The ones that are willing to just sit...saying nothing in order to hear His still small voice. As I was acting all of this out, my youngest screamed, "Pick me, pick me! I'm listening!"

W O W !

And shouldn't that be the cry of our heart - pick me, God! Shouldn't our prayer be, "Save us from being so filled with ourselves that we can't hear You. Give us the grace to both listen AND obey when You speak to us."

I've thought about this all day. Just talked about it with the kids again over dinner. Where am I now...do I have a humble heart? Is God pleased with how I acted and reacted today? I certainly still sin, but am I teachable?

I will leave you with these questions to ask of yourselves. May we never get stagnate in our relationship with our Creator and may our hearts always remain moldable.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Well honey, I was saved at 6 and have probably heard thousands of sermons, at least 12,000, now, not many are able to touch my heart. You, my little girl just reached down and grabbed my heart and it was wonderful.
    Of course I read them all to Tim and today he said, golly honey, she's almost as good as you, she is her mother's daughter. Now I know that you are a much better writer than me, but what a nice compliment from him.
    God has really blessed you with a wonderful way with words.
    Thank you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete