Sunday, February 14, 2010

Arguing on Valentine's Day


Shocked by the title? Can you believe I'm actually going to write about it for the world to read?

Our argument on this day and every Valentine's Day is a little different than you would expect. Not your common, 'average joe' argument. Then again...very little about our family is normal!

I really thought that I would win this year. I get so tired of loosing every February 14th. However, according to my husband..."You lost again, baby!"

The argument? Who is the first to say Happy Valentine's Day, or give a gift or card or win the count on how many times in one day can we show affection to each other. Since my hubby is a romanticist at heart...I always loose :(

I even unveiled my card a day early, but he hit a home run by presenting me with a gorgeous bouquet of pink and red roses just a few hours earlier. While I ventured to dream land, he stayed up till midnight so that he could write a valentine message on my Facebook! He murmured 'Happy Valentine's Day' to me while he was still asleep but said it counted! I left him a note in his closet taped to his clothes Sunday morning, but I found TWO cards strategically placed next to my roses. Even though I was the first to send him a sweet text message, he stated that I was already down on the count.

A fun game? You betcha! (I don't think that is correct grammar, but it seemed to fit here!) This year, the love just seemed to overflow to everyone in the household. Instead of our usual date with just the two of us, we took ALL our valentines out for dinner on Saturday night. We wrote each of them a short, personalized note and presented them with some candy (haven't done that since they were youngsters!) Sunday afternoon was met with a relaxing, enjoyable lunch at home where the kids surprised me with a gift just from them!

My 17-year old son had an interesting observation. "Why all the hype on Valentine's Day - why do we have to have a special day to give chocolate and flowers?" Good question and the answer is...we don't! Shouldn't the contagious love be in our houses on a daily basis? Do we have to wait until Valentine's Day or Sweetest Day to express to our family how much they mean to us? The obvious answer is no. Love is too precious to be kept in a box and only pulled out on special days.

The word love and its form, is mentioned 558 times in the Bible - that covers one a day with some leftover! I'm sure you've heard the old adage that we sometimes treat those we love the most, the worst. Make a pact with yourself this year that you will not fall into that trap. Jesus reminded us that 'the greatest commandment is love.' Tell your children how much you love them today - and every day. Leave them a special note taped to their bathroom mirror at least weekly. Surprise them with an inexpensive trinket for no other reason than you are glad they are your child. Hug them - long and often. No one can ever receive too much love.

If you're looking for an inspirational book to share with your spouse and gain some ideas on spicing up your marriage, try reading a devotion for couples only. One that was given to us is 'Songs in the Key of Solomon' by John and Anita Renfroe. As the back of the book says, "These devotions won't put you to sleep!" Another awesome read for the newlyweds as well as those who have been married for decades is 'The Love List' by Les and Leslie Parrott. It is purposeful, practical and full of spontaneity. Allen and I have highly enjoyed sharing this little book - a great map for your journey together.

Read together, love each other, live like it's your last day, laugh at everything (including yourself) and always strive to win the fun arguments. If the truth be told...this is one game where I don't mind loosing -- actually, I enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment