Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What Foundation are You Setting?

My kids have really been on my mind lately. I am constantly in a state of wondering what else I need to teach them and 'do they know enough.' Truth is, they are not toddlers any more. At 12, 14 and 17, they have their own thought process and way of thinking. They need further explanations with each question they ask and the questions are quite thought-provoking now! There are just so many thoughts to sort through as a parent, home educator, spiritual trainer, counselor, mediator, etc.

Did I lead them down the right path? I know what I taught them, but did my own personal example just crush what they've heard me say for years? I always try to point them back to the cross but what did they think when they witnesses my own sins in action? If I talk about and demand mutual respect then why don't I always give it to them like I expect them to treat me? Are they curt with each other because I was like that with them just the day prior?

So many questions...so few answers.

I've noticed that our home education hours are more Biblically led. We talk about our devotions during breakfast and even the sentences that I dictate are spiritual in nature. I have this overwhelming passion to give them such a strong moral foundation and I don't believe that even at their age, that I am finished yet. My 12 year old son asks often for us to come together and pray - several times a day. This is good! He is already so intuitive that he knows when things don't 'feel' right and that the answer is prayer.

Though I am far from perfect in any area of my life, I do feel that I am extremely blessed with three incredible children that love the Lord.

Nothing makes a momma more proud than when someone compliments your child. I think the Lord knew I needed some extra warm fuzzies this week and so He sent some special people my way. I'm sure they didn't even realized they were being used by the Lord.

Little comments like, "Wow, your son sure is polite." "Does he ever NOT smile?" "He is so mannerly." "She has such a sweet spirit and I love her smile." "I can't believe your 17 year old still says Mr. and Mrs. when addressing people. That is so rare these days." Sometimes complete strangers utter these words, which make me just giggle inside! Only two days ago, I had the special treat of experiencing my own children myself. I witnessed that even though they are normal kids who argue and get punished, when the rubber meets the road, they rise to the occasion.

My pain started at 10 in the morning and only got worse as the hours progressed. That's when the transformation started. I watched my children turn into incredible servants - the event demanding it and they were there. They waited on me hand and foot and even cooked lunch with me shouting directions every few minutes! When the pain was too great, my eldest drove me to ER where I spent the next 7 hours passing a kidney stone. (Definitely not on my list of fun and exciting ways to spend your day!)

A smile drew across my face when I entered the kitchen at 8 pm. The house was clean, dishes done, tile vacuumed and their school work completed (as much as they could!)

After I hugged and praised them, I went to bed feeling the Lord's embrace around my body. They are good kids and I am proud to call them mine. I have always said that I want them to grow up and be a blessing to people. That day...they were a blessing to me.

If you haven't done this today - go hug your kids and tell them how special they are and what a treat it is that God gave them to YOU!Thank you Kyle, Victoria and Adam - I love you...to the moon and back!

2 comments:

  1. Rhonda, I throughly enjoyed reading your article. And they are all three just wonderful childre because you've done such a super job raising them. In case no one else say it to you....I am so proud of you...your second Mom...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when Kyle was about 5, he would answer the phone and I was sure I was talking to an adult.
    I've always told you, your kids are simply amazing and YES a very large part of that is because they have an amazing mother, but then I'm just a little prejudice.....I'm the first Mom.

    ReplyDelete