Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tips and Tricks

I honestly can't remember what I did the other day, but my daughter asked me what I was doing and how did I know to do that. "Ummm...I don't know...I've just always done it!" Not much of an answer but it got me thinking about all the tricks, tips, substitutions and shortcuts that so many of us use. Where did I learn all this stuff? Although some of it was trial and error, a lot of these ideas came from my friends, books and magazines. So, I thought I would share a few of my favorite tips and their origination. This is a book that MUST don your bookshelf! I bought this about 13 years ago but can't tell you how many times I have re-read it! Mary Hunt is the founder, editor and publisher of Cheapskate Monthly. It is broken into categories such as Family, Food, Home, Travel, Auto and Money. Easy to read, understand and use; the tips will leave you with your mouth wide open while gasping, "What a great idea!"

Another source of my tips and cheap substitutions is the All You Magazine from Walmart. I refuse to pay the counter price, so last year I found a years subscription for $2 - for the whole year!! Not only it is chocked full of great articles, awesome tips and recipes, it has a clothing section sporting the latest trends and anywhere from $50-$100 in coupons!

Without turning this blog into a book, I will mention just a few of my secrets :)

* Instead of buying dishwashing detergent at $1.78 per 20 oz, make up your own with 1 cup Borax, 1 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup kosher salt. This only cost .81 per 20 oz

* Best way to remove baked-on bits of food from your glass pans? A rolled up ball of tin foil (can even be a used piece of tin foil - go green all the way!)

* Shave your legs, ladies, with hair conditioner that you probably already have and save $4 from not buying shaving cream

* Save all the bones from a roasted chicken. Please them in a pot of water with a bay leaf, a sliced onion, celery and carrot to make awesome chicken stock. Freezes well too!

* Your recipe calls for white wine and you don't have any? Use apple juice

* Don't buy expensive buttermilk that you will only use one cup of for that special recipe. One cup of regular milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar will do the trick (let stand for 10 minutes)

* No molasses? Use honey (it's better for you anyways!)

* When you find summer fruit at an awesome price (like .88 for grapes), buy 5 lbs or more. Once they are cleaned, freeze them in pint size baggies for fruit all year round. I do this with bananas, strawberries, blueberries and grapes. Great for smoothies too!

Oh, how I could go on and on and on! Saving money, being frugal, finding better ways, refusing to let the retail industry steal my money...so many goals!

Treat yourself today, do your family a favor and go buy this book! Keep it right by the Bible and watch your daily life bring joy and satisfaction! Love you all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment