Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What Happened To My Baby?

I know we all experience it. I understand it's not specific just to ME. I know it is completely out of our control. I comprehend that I am surrounded by a plethora of folks who will stand up at the end of this blog and shout "Amen sister!"...but I still feel like I must shout it from the top of my lungs and scream -- "NO!"

My baby -- my first born -- the child whose life mine revolved around for four years before his sister came along, can NOT be 17 years old!

He completely changed our life back in 1993 in ways we couldn't ever imagine. Funny thing was that I warned my husband when we got married that I was a career woman and had no intentions of EVER having any children. I would never quit my job and I certainly would never be a stay-at-home mom to some carpet-eating rug rat. If there's one thing I've learned over the years it is to never say never. I've been humbled way too many times with that dumb word, that now I rarely ever use it!

I'm so glad I was wrong. I'm so thankful the Lord softened my heart and gently led me towards His direction for my life. I'm so humbled that He thought enough of me to want to change my persistent, stringent ways of thinking.

Career woman? Nah...those heels hurt my feet after eight long hours of wear of tear. Stay-at-home mom? You betcha. Wouldn't trade it for the WORLD! Best thing I've ever done (er, I mean the Lord prompted me to do!)

As the Lord would have it, he was the easiest child we had. Slept through the night since he was 4 weeks old. Crawled, walked and talked months earlier than his peers. He was always amazing us, like getting me out of a garage sale neighborhood when he was only 7 because I had already gotten lost! His logical skills leave me standing with my mouth open wide. His humor and wit make me smile when nothing else can. He is self-confident (and yes, sometimes arrogant!), independent, creative, intelligent, artistic, talented, loving and sympathetic. Here is my baby now.Thank you, Kyle, for loving such an imperfect momma. Thank you for being the experimental first-born! Thank you for your patience with me during the rough spots in your teen years. Thank you for helping me see that change is good and to appreciate where the Lord takes us. Thank you for the memories that only a first child can bring. Thank you for filling our house with a variety of musical instruments. Thank you for making the toddler years so easy that we actually wanted more children! Thank you for taking care of me when I was not well and keeping the other children in line. Thank you for being such a joy to home school and so independent.

Thank you, son, for being who you are. I am excited to see what the Lord has in store for you and your future. Love you bunches, baby.

Hugs and Kisses,
Your Momma

4 comments:

  1. That was wonderful, I think it is so good to let children know what you actually think of them. Your description of Kyle sounded very much like what I've said to you. No wonder you have 3 amazing children, you, their mother are amazing also.
    Kyle is amazing, I am so proud of him and I too am looking forward to see what God has in store for him.
    I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats so sweet. Thanks for sharing your "baby" :-)

    Christy
    Mom of Nick Smith at co-op

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda, that was beautiful! I have always believed that we need to encourage and lift up our kids. You are an amazing mother and have a wonderful family. You should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Decided to come see your "baby". lol. My daughter is 17, too. Doesn't have a boyfriend yet. hint hint. I agree, they grow up way fast. I was blessed, too, to be a stay home mom. I think that is why it took me so long to have her. We adopted her & love her more than words can say. I have been praying for her future mate since she was little. I know God has the right one for her.

    ReplyDelete