Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babe!

Yesterday was a really hard day. Unfortunately, as the day progressed, it only got worse. I know we all have them; some have them more often than others. My day was met with a challenge from the moment my feet hit the floor. Most days, home schooling is a joy and a breeze. Yesterday was not one of those days. How many times can I go over the rules of subject/verb agreement and will my deaf daughter ever write a sentence correctly? Will my kids ever acknowledge that we don't need FOUR mothers in the house and that the job opening for "Mother" has already been taken???

My day included kids who woke up on the wrong side of the bed, swollen, red eyes due to extremely high pollen counts, communication issues, rehearsals that left us sitting and waiting, and people who always want what they want - NOW. My school day ended with a speech clinician reminding me how delayed my daughter is. Although it was a good report in terms of her quarterly progress, it's always disheartening to hear the reality of having a handicapped child. Then there was dinner...a new recipe in which one out of five thought was worth eating! Ugh...

Now that I've vented, that is really not what this blog is about (although it sure sounded like it!)

It's about what happened this morning.

Still remembering the affects of yesterday, I woke up with a defeated attitude. Oversleeping sure didn't help either. While the kids were stirring, I plopped in my 'spiritual chair'...you know the one - the place where you and God come together each morning and you shed tears because once again you have become humbled.

And there it is - right in front of my face..."We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair." (2 Cor. 4:8) Paul knew that the goal was worth the pain. Do we?

Not only was that perfect,(amazing how God always meets you right where you are!) God wasn't finished with me yet. As I was trying to get breakfast prepared, my daughter asked what was wrong with me. I stated that yesterday was a hard day and I am still remembering it.

She grabbed my shoulders, shook me and said, "That was yesterday and this is today. It's a new day. Forget about it and don't worry."

Whew!

That's what I needed.

My children to encourage me. My children to remind me what is important and who God is and what His Word says. It's really that simple.

Thank you, Victoria, for allowing God to use you. Thank you God for humbling me and extending your grace my way. Thank you for entrusting me with your children and allowing me to start each day over!

One of my favorite quotes: "The compass of God's Word will keep you from spiritual shipwreck."

May you be blessed today and remember to rejoice in the Lord always - and AGAIN rejoice!

3 comments:

  1. Oh honey, I have had those days, so many problems with Doug growing up, but once again YOU have humbled me. YOU, like Victoria, was my compass many times and often reminded me that it is indeed a new day and God will get us through this day too!!!
    I love you honey,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a blessing and an encouragement, sweetie. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete