Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Update on My Kids - Part 1

Warning...this is a long blog!

I am sorry that it's taken me a few weeks to write an update on the kids and their first Cochlear Implant, but there is actually great reason for this.

This uncharted road we have been traveling on since September 20th has been physically, mentally and spiritually exhausting, bewildering and stressful. The emotional roller-coaster ride has been insane. Honestly, the last thing I wanted to do was rehash the struggles and be reminded of the tediously slow process we are experiencing.

However, my spirit has been lifted the last few days as I have seen definite improvements in my kids progress as well as their demeanor.

If you remember from my previous blog, activation day was less than exciting for my kiddos. It was not what we or the kids anticipated or ever dreamed of. Not only was it not video worthy, we were looking to get our money back!

And then 24 hours passed.

You would never have convinced me that in just 24 short hours, we would do a complete turn-about and cry with joy instead of weeping from anger and frustration. But that is exactly what happened. Both kids went to the mapping session (fine-tuning) with positive attitudes and great expectations. Even in Victoria's timid state, she did incredibly well. Adam was off the charts with his ability to process sounds in just one day! I was even more flabbergasted when the sound field testing came back at 15 db - I would never have believed it had I not been sitting in the back corner of the sound proof room! I, personally, have a mild hearing loss of 20-25 db, so that means my kids were hearing sounds that I could not hear! Even though these were just sounds and not actual words, my husband and I were still elated!

A week later we embraced yet another three hour mapping appointment where they were reprogrammed (I guess I have little robots in my house now!) and boosted in the volume arena. Victoria's progress is a tad slower than Adam's, so she left with her level on 4 while Adam had his on 6. However, a week later, they were both at 10 -- right where the audiologist wanted them!

Then the speech therapy and listening drills began - at home and at the center. We are listening to 1st and 2nd grade books on tape trying to get their brain retrained and to really focus on listening. We try to name every sound as it happens in the house and draw attention to noises we think they have missed. The hardest part? Repeating ourselves three times before we are allowed to resort to signing. I've signed for 14 years now - I can't believe I'm having to slap my own hands and try to not sign!

So, here is the individual update:

Since Adam's hearing was better than Victoria's for 10 years, his threshold is wider as is his tolerance. He has heard sounds and pitches more clearly and in a different range than she ever has. Which is why he is doing better with the implant than Victoria. He loves it, has embraced it and can't wait for the next surgery on the other ear.

Up until the last year when Adam's hearing plummeted, Victoria had the greater loss. Lower threshold; lower tolerance. She does not relish or accept new challenges with the tenacity that Adam does. She is struggling with being a baby listener. Too many things to listen to and it literally hurts her head. Unfortunately, she has taken the implant off often in the past two weeks. As strange as it is, Victoria hears her heartbeat every evening when we take the implant off. It scared her at first, wondering what the pounding noise was and then it was just plain irritating. We have since found out that this is quite normal and will hopefully fade away as time goes on. Victoria is quite apprehensive about the second surgery.

The surgeon told us that, "Listening is truly an art and very difficult to do. These kids are having to start all over with the patience and tolerance of a teenager instead of a baby." We will get there but it's a much slower process than we ever imagined.

Ok - I said it and I didn't cry! This is what I didn't want to share. These are our struggles and the facts of life for us. However, now it's time to move forward and catch you all up to speed. Enough with the whining - I'm ready to share the honey-sweet good reports!

Yesterday, I read a chapter to the kids while sitting on Victoria's lap. Adam was about 2 feet away and understood every word I said without me signing (that has NEVER happened)! I was sitting on Victoria's lap so that I could point to every word and have her follow along. It was tedious for her but we are doing everything we can to NOT sign. She got it, but it was hard. I keep having to remind her - you have to work at this. It will not come easy, but it will happen.

They are both hearing sounds and/or noises that they've never heard before. Although Victoria is doing a lot of lip reading, my signing has still decreased by at least 50%.

They heard the dryer shut off today.

Victoria heard me sneeze in my room while she was in the kitchen (quite a distance away) and wanted to know what the noise was.

In Adam's guitar lesson this week, I only had to sign ONE sentence! Also, he was moved to the back row so that newer, beginning kids could be in the front (since that means the instructor doesn't have to watch him as closely, that's a compliment!) Adam has only been taking lessons since August, so I'm very proud of him! We have decided that I will be sitting in the hallway next week - we're both ready to cut the proverbial umbilical cord :)

Victoria's speech therapist hugged her and got misty-eyed at her progress last week.

At therapy, Adam talked on the phone while the therapist was in the hallway and heard every sentence she said! Only two more sessions with Adam and he will be dismissed from therapy!

In only two short weeks, they have both done an amazing job of learning how to block out all the loud background noises and focus on the person speaking.

Victoria no longer hears her heartbeat when the implant is off - her brain has learned to just ignore it. When I asked her about it last night, she looked puzzled and had to think about it. "I don't hear anything without my implant - what are you talking about?"
I just had to laugh - she had already forgotten that only last week it was driving her crazy!

I taught science class at co-op this week and Adam understood nearly everything I said.

It dawned on me yesterday that Victoria has not said that everyone is too loud for almost a week!

Even better news...she has not taken off her implant once!

They both went to youth on Wednesday without me - first time in years. I knew Adam would understand almost everything so I asked Victoria what she wanted me to do, since I'm not supposed to be signing. She told me not to come. "I'll be fine. I'll listen as best as I can and try to read his lips." She didn't understand much at all - BUT, at least she tried. That's a huge milestone for her.

The last two weeks, Victoria had embraced her insecurities and somewhat retreated. These past few days, I saw a butterfly emerging. She is strong - she is a Flint!

Adam is bold, outgoing, outspoken and very sure of himself. These character traits have served him well these past few weeks.

I warned you this was going to be a long blog :)

Bottom line...I'm very proud of them both and although the past three weeks have been challenging, I have no regrets. God has been our constant source of strength and comfort. We are trying to seize each moment and to live every hour to the very fullest.

I must sign off for now. In the Update, Part 2 (hopefully this weekend) I want to share what the Lord reminded me of and some special words of encouragement from my friends.

Blessings to you all!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! This is amazing! I'm so happy for all of you for the progress made and look forward to future updates. Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go God! You are an amazing mom, and if there are any 2 kids who will succeed; it will be your 2! of course I can't read this without remembering 15 years ago and the squeak toy... Only God could bring you so far and perform such marvelous works of physical and emotion healing!
    Love you All!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the great adventures of life that I am so excited to be reading about - what a story my friend. I can't thank you enough for living it out loud for us! ED

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I love your updates! Keep them coming! Praise God for these results!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To say that I'm proud of you would be a huge understatment. Your kids have YOU in them too not just Allen, and you are one very strong woman. I know it's been so hard, I'm so sorry, but look at the end results, so worth it.
    God has been so good to you both to give you such major struggles, because then you both get to experience the amazing miracles.
    I love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the squeak toy very well! Thank you all for your kind words - life certainly is a journey!!

    ReplyDelete