Sunday, October 16, 2011

Behind the Appearances

I love this story so much that I just had to copy and post it here:


"I like to cook and fix meals for my husband. Since I was a child I liked to watch my mom preparing meals for us, and enjoyed eating her food. Growing up I didn't do a lot of cooking, but in college I had no other choice, but to start cooking myself. I did, and I enjoyed so much that I started cooking for all my friends. It is such a good feeling when you offer somebody something you cooked with love, and they like it.

One day while preparing the ingredients for a meal, I was fascinated by these extra large potatoes. They seemed so healthy and you would not think for a minute that there might be something wrong with them. I started to peel them, they seem OK, but when I got to the middle of potatoes and they were brown. There were no signs on the outside to warn you that they were rotten inside.

I had to go deeper to remove the bad part and two things came to mind while removing the rotten part. One had to do with my own life and the other with the appearance of human being in general. I felt like God was telling me:” This is how much I had to remove from you; I had to cut deeper, though painful, to remove the filth in your life! I started crying, while recalling some of the painful moments in my life!

Many people live their lives as if they would have it all together, but inside they have a lot of depression, anxiety, hurt, and pain. It seems like we delight in showing off what we don’t have, and like to make people think that everything is just fine with us. God knows us so well, and still loves us and accepts us. Why then, are we afraid to be transparent?

I know one thing that can help us is examining our lives, confessing what is not right and leave it behind. I often heard people trying to excuse bad behaviors instead of dealing with the situation and do something about it. I admit that I struggle with anger, and there is no excuse about it. I need to deal with the issue and solve it. I can't take a pair of scissors, cut out the pages of my Bible that speak about anger, and pretend they are not there. None of us is perfect, but this should determine us not to remain at the same level of growth. By admitting our imperfections and allowing God to change us, we are changing and growing.

I think we can learn some lessons for life even from a rotten potato. Which brings my thoughts to a movie I've seen “Faith Like Potatoes”! An awesome movie that inspired me to have a real faith in spite of what the society or the circumstances tell me. Faith just like a potato, real and touchable."

No comments:

Post a Comment