Monday, September 26, 2011

Under the Knife

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I'm not particularly found of hospitals. I'm thankful for them but really have no desire to utilize their services! I also think it is the general consensus that any type of surgery is scary - the unknown, the risks. But when it is your KIDS going under the knife, then the emotions rise to a new level.

Was I emotionally ready for such a day? Did I really understand the complexity of this surgery and the recovery process...times two?

Did I have my spiritual armor on and was I in submission to the Lord's will as He hovered over my children when I was forbidden to enter?

I really thought I would completely fall apart last Tuesday when both my kids were scheduled for cochlear implant surgery. I was anxiously dreading the moment they unlocked the bed and pushed my child into an area that was restricted to my presence. And then something pleasantly welcoming happened. Without shedding a tear, my husband and I embraced and turned away to divert our attention to the next child getting prepped for an IV. It was actually rather strange. No concern. No worry. Not even a second look. It was as if we left them in perfectly capable hands. And we did. Successful doctors and their Heavenly Father. At one point when I crashed on the couch while one was in surgery and the other was in recovery, I had a dream that Jesus was standing over my kids - just smiling at them.

The surgery? 100% successful with zero complications. The doctor said it couldn't have went better or smoother. Statements you always want to hear concerning any procedure involving a knife and anesthesia! The kids had a few rough days that followed, but I think the recovery process went very well with great progress each day.

We thank you for your devoted prayers - we felt them. They are real. The peace we experienced was amazing and I know it was only because of the prayer warriors going to battle for us. Here are some pictures to bring some reality to the process and your prayers! (I left the "detailed" pictures out!)

They wanted to be very clear which ear was being implanted!Both kids did great with their first IV!So thankful for Pastor Bob and our awesome friends who joined us in prayer!One last kiss from daddy....You can see the implant and the curly wire that wraps into the cochleaLooking and feeling great! This is the next day (can you believe it?)They are moments away from getting the head bandages cut off.

Two more weeks until activation. We are blessed and extremely exciting!!

Thank you Jesus!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Rhonda!!! I am so pleased to hear how well the surgeries went and how God's peace was surrounding you. Rejoicing with you guys...awaiting a good report in the weeks to come.

    Love you,

    Traci

    ReplyDelete