Saturday, September 17, 2011

Making Every Day Count

I know what we should be doing and I know how to do it. Finding the energy and time is another story...

Family Time

I can say that I think this task was much easier to accomplish when the kids were younger. We colored together, made crafts, played hide-n-seek, enjoyed board games, went on bike rides, ate together, etc. Now that they are older, I am shocked as to how difficult this feat is.

My 18 year old who is in college full time with a part time job is only home two nights a week for dinner . My daughter now has a part time job and cheer practice once a week. My youngest has soccer twice a week and of course, church two nights a week. Because of their age differences, our board games are limited as well as our movies. Adam's leg muscle issues makes the family bike riding extremely difficult. And of course, they have out grown coloring together and making crafts!

We have been forced to be very creative with our family time and activities. Since the quality time together seems to be scarce, we have to really make each day count ... to seize the moment!

That's when the wheel made it into our lives.Just a simple, little cardboard wheel created by Focus on the Family to aid families with conversation starters. We absolutely love it! We set aside at least one day a week to have a real, sit-down, family meal and then the wheel makes its appearance. It really blessed my heart when my 18 year old said that Tuesday was his favorite day - he looked forward to the home cooked meal and the intriguing conversations that would follow.

Here are a few of the questions or starters that we have enjoyed so far:

What is your favorite thing about being a child/parent/husband/wife?

If you could ask God one question, what would it be?

What three words describe your day today?

If you had one super power, what would it be?

If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be?

What are your favorite qualities about your mom, dad, sister or brother?

When do you feel brave?

What is the nicest thing anyone has ever done to you?

Tell about a time when you were scared and what did you do?

Some of these questions were answered within 10-15 minutes. I can remember one night when we realized it was almost 8 pm - we had donned the family table for two hours!!

Family time around the dinner table is certainly not over rated. If you have children, it just must be a priority. The old adage is so true - it's the quality not quantity of time that matters. I can honestly say that I have gotten to know my children better after listening to their answers - sometimes through tears and sometimes through laughter.

The older they get, the shorter the time with them seems to be. I just can't let it slip through my fingers...there's still so much more to teach them but even more importantly than that - there's still so much more listening for us parents to do. Kids really do have some good insight ... if we will just listen.

2 comments:

  1. That was some great writing and wonderful words honey.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how well I relate! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete