Monday, January 24, 2011

Practical Life Skills Book for Your Kids

I totally forgot that I mentioned this book months and months ago and then never did write my thoughts on it! Please forgive my absent-mindedness!

I have owned this book for 12 years and found it to be a priceless gem in teaching my kids life skills even at an early age of 2!

The book is endorsed by the Ezzo's (Growing Kids God's Way) and is an incredible wealth of information. The first half talks about Dynamic Devotional Living, which includes structured and unstructured devotions as well as a prayer list.The next section is Cultivating Family Unity along with gifts and talents. I love the 12 pages on Biblical Character Traits. My kids just finished keeping a notebook of all the biblical traits listed in the book and scripture references for each one. The section on manners is entertaining yet helpful! Then my all-time favorite part is the Practical Living Skills checklist - even though I started this when my now 17 year old was 5, I still use it today to check off things that my 12 and 14 year have accomplished. I review the book every few months and when I recently noticed that there were still a few items that I hadn't taught them yet, I was right on it. Things like oiling a bicycle, mopping the floor, operating the washing machine and learning basic electrical repairs. The very next week I had my son help his daddy put a new plug on my bread machine! Some of the items on the list will get checked off naturally, but others will never even think of making an appearance in your brain! If you do not have a list of this nature, then it may never occur to you to teach your child that skill. (Notice the "why" written by my son next to needlework - needless to say, that is one skill we did NOT teach him!)I did check online and the book is still in print and sells for $9.45 at http://www.gfi.org/java/jsp/cust_store.jsp

If you have younger children, I believe that this may possibly be the best $10 you will ever spend! Thanks for letting me share :)

2 comments:

  1. Just heard about his book on K-Love or Air-1 today! Had planned on getting it, but didn’t hear the title very well. Was in my car thinking…oh shoot…what did they say the name of that book was…thanks God…will buy it tomorrow! Thanks Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome book - with my four kids all under 10, this is a must! Thanks for the wonderful review! SR

    ReplyDelete