Friday, January 7, 2011

Girlfriends in God

When bad things happen, we cry out in desperation for someone to care.

A simple text message or a lengthy, alarming phone call. What we desire is to hear a compassionate voice on the other end of the phone.

I am reminded of the story of the little girl who was sent on an errand by her mother. When the girl was gone far too long, the mother demanded an explanation. The little girl said that on her way she had met a friend who was crying because she had broken her doll. "Oh," said the mother, "then you stopped to help her fix her doll?" "Oh, no!" replied the little girl. "I stopped to help her cry!"

Sometimes that's all we need. Someone to help us cry. We not only need God in the midst of a storm, we need each other.

If I know my friend is unable to speak because the words are blocked by the huge boulder of insurmountable salt water ready to burst through her sockets, my floodgate of tears immediately opens. I loose all control and begin to weep with her. More times than not, that's all she wanted.

Kindness. Compassion. Empathy.

Words that need to be practiced DAILY in our interactions with the people we meet - those special to us as well as complete strangers. A sweet word. A sincere hug. I gentle reminder that nothing surprises God and that He loves us beyond measure.

Kindness is simply compassion at work and love in action. I often wonder just how amazed we will be when we get to Heaven and find the unlikely, unknown but devoted servants of God exalted above all others - rewarded for their quiet and often unseen acts of kindness. Kindness does not look for reasons. Compassion doesn't ask for limitations - it searches for opportunity.

Paul writes that we must "prove" ourselves by being patient and kind. How we handle relationships exhibits the depth and validity of God's love at work in and through us.

As I posted on Facebook last week...I hate storms, but have finally come to terms with the fact that they are certain. So is God's deliverance. Sometimes He delivers us from the storm and other times He delivers us in the storm. Either way, God is with us.

I love the girlfriends in my life - I love the strength I draw from them, the compassion I receive from their words, the Biblical wisdom they instill in me and the accountability that is always there.

The next time you are at the other end of a heart-breaking phone call, remember to just stop and listen. Hear her heart and when the time is right, shower her with your golden nuggets of insight.

Or maybe...just cry with her.

3 comments:

  1. Well said girlfriend , Your true friendship has helped me draw strength, compassion ,and much Biblical wisdom...But,most of all the true accountaability that is always there !!! I am honored to call you my friend !
    Love you ~ Mean it :)

    Billeter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beauitfully written - surely there is a book waiting to be filled with these insights someday soon. Start saving your money! Eric D

    ReplyDelete