Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Conductor

Why do we watch the conductor in music? To keep tempo, to see dynamics, for expression instructions...and the list goes on.

In a believers life, God is our conductor - He gives us our life's tempo, leads us in our expressions and dynamics. God is the source of life leading us through the troubled times, even putting down the baton and clapping out the tempo for the times when we can't see but maybe can hear. He conducts us through the dynamic ups and downs of life, celebrating with us when it is done correctly and working with us when it isn't quite right.

It's one thing to experience a piece of music being written in your own life, but it is something extraordinary to witness it in someone else's life - especially when it is one of your own children.

Two weeks ago, we invited some friends over to pray with us and our home to begin the new year. The Lord laid this heavy on my husbands heart, so he was following the Lord's prompting. I will blog more about what transpired that evening later, but I can tell you that it was the most incredible hour and a half prayer session that we have ever experienced.

My daughter began to weep as our friends prayed over her and her room. I believe this was the beginning of Victoria's score sheet.

Her demeanor changed - overnight.

There was something different in her eyes.

Then came Friday night Refuel - an extra worship service that our church has started doing once a month. I wasn't sure that we were going since my husband had been in TX for the last three days. He came home and announced that he did indeed want to go. I believe this angered Satan. Instantly, I began to get agitated at the smallest things. Then, when we told the kids what we had planned, Victoria got very upset. Satan was working hard to keep us from going. Once I finally received an attitude adjustment myself, we were ready to enter God's presence. Victoria's last words before we left the house were, "I don't want to go - it's nothing but singing and I can't sing. Why do I have to go?"

I hesitated going. I know she doesn't enjoy worship. She's deaf. She can hear the music but has no idea when to sing and when not to sing. She can read the words and tries to mouth them as she sees other peoples mouths moving, but that is the extent of her participation.

Then I felt the nudge - the Holy Spirit nudge. We had to go...we needed to go.

What awaited us? Two hours of the most incredible, candlelight worship experience I have had in quite a while. The freedom to worship as though you were the only person in the room. The presence of the Lord was so prevalent...so thick...so anointed. My 17 year old who played the guitar the entire time, even mentioned how strong God's presence was. He said, "I am physically, mentally exhausted but spiritually on top of the world!"

My daughter walked in the house and said, "Why do I feel this way?" When I tried to get her in touch with her feelings, all she could say was, "I think the Holy Spirit touched me. I feel different. I feel strange. Are they doing another service like that again? I want to go back!"

Oh.My.Stars!

I do believe I just witnessed the first notes being penned to her song...

6 comments:

  1. This brought little happy tears to my eyes! Thank you for sharing this special part of your life with us! Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written! Made me cry tears of thankfulness. I believe Victoria "hears" on a completely different level. Just like her artistic ability is off the charts, I believe her ability to hear God will be too! She is a precious young lady and you are doing a fantastic job raising her. I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!!! What an amazing testimony. God is moving in your family. That is so encouraging! Thank you for sharing!!!" AJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a wonderful story, thanks for sharing. God is good!!! Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, she does hear on a completely different level. Words have been spoken over here that she will hear with her heart things that we 'hearing' people can't hear. God is using her already but I can't wait to see the big picture!

    ReplyDelete