Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I Still Trust You

My day actually started out glorious - not even an inkling of worry in the air. Enjoyed my 6 a.m. run with an awesome friend, hit four stores before 9 a.m. to grab my freebies, got caught up on some chores and then spent a few hours shopping with my daughter before I had to pick up my youngest from a friends house for an appointment he had.

That's when it happened. One of the worst days I have had in a while. A day that I don't want to repeat.

Ever. The sad part is...I have.

Three times before.

I've experienced the sweeping of this mental tornado too many times already. There is just nothing like your heart aching for your children.

It's my baby boy. The one who was born with a moderate to severe hearing loss but now has a profound loss in both ears. Although he just received new hearing aids in December, about 3 weeks ago, things began to change again. He just wasn't hearing right. He had to be right in front of you before he could understand your words. We blamed his allergies and all the drainage. I cleaned the molds - more than once. I cleaned his ears - every 4-5 days. Then the realization became apparent. His hearing just plummeted again.

These are one of those times when I wish I were wrong. I typically enjoy being right ... but not today.

The drive home was gut-wrenching. The silence was so loud. I was sure both of the kids heard all the voices in my head. The battled dialogue going on inside of me had to be obviously heard. I finally decide to peek in the rear-view mirror.

There he is. Slumped over the armrest. I know he's tired from his overnight stay at his friend's house, but his body language screamed something different. I call his name only to see his dripping face look up at me with those huge, brown, puppy dog-eyes. It's more than I can handle. Only two miles from home, I pull the car over and climb to the back seat where I embrace this confused and hurting child. We cry together while he speaks, "I didn't expect this. Why, momma, why?"

We have some hard decisions to make concerning Adam's hearing. I know that God will give us the wisdom to make the best choice as well as the strength to follow through and the patience to deal with the situation at hand.

I know that. I truly believe it. "I still trust You, Lord." I uttered those words as I walked aimlessly around the house today.

While the exhausted young man sleeps away some of his tiredness and pain, I turn to the keyboard. Sometimes it is medicinal for me. Although my shirt is stained with the salt water leaking from my eyes, I feel the Lord's embrace around me. I had just begun to write when a dear friend called. Coincidence? No. Perfect timing from the Lord. I needed to cry some more so the Lord sent her.

As my devotion said today, "Life is hard, but God is good - all the time."

Thank you, Father, for seeing my hurt and caring.

My thankful journal will not be empty tonight...there is still plenty to write.And for that - I am thankful.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry honey. I know exactly how bad you are hurting, I'm hurting for my baby too and my precious grandson.
    I am praying, without ceasing, the the Lord will continue to keep His arms around you for as long as you need Him too, and I have your head on my shoulder.
    I love you, God will see you through this, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda, My heart truly aches for you and your family. However, we do have an amazing GOD and he knows Adam's future better than we do. We don't know how this works is HIS plans for Adam and what an amazing gift this may hold for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this on your blog. We are prying for Adam & for all of you as you decide what is the direction you need to go - Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda -- I read your article about your son and just balled my eyes out about half way through. My heart goes out to you and your family. I can't even imagine what you are going through but I know that we serve a big, big God! I plan to pray for Adam everyday and want to stand in faith, with you, and trust that the Lord has this situation totally in hand. I pray for peace and comfort for Adam and that the Lord will just totally embrace your family. Our God is able and is ready to answer when we call on him. Keep the faith my friend and know that many people are praying for your family. When two or more agree in prayer...there the Lord is in the midst of them. He is standing ready to deliver your son. I'll be praying everyday!!! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. This morning I got out of bed singing an old song I haven't heard in a long time. (I don't need to understand I just need to hold His hand) I am praying for a maricle in this precious little fellow's life. My prayers are with your family also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your family is so precious to the Lord and to all of us who have the privilege to know you! Please know that you are all being lifted up in prayer!!! Lynn

    ReplyDelete