Monday, February 21, 2011

Spicy White Chicken Chili

This is probably one of my favorite soup recipes. Serve this with some wonderful french bread and you have a hearty meal!

White Chicken Chili

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 cups cubed, cooked chicken
2 cans chicken broth
2 cans (4 oz each) chopped green chilies
3 cans great northern beans, rinses and drained
2 cups (8 ozs) shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Saute onions in oil until tender. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, cayenne and cloves. Stir 2-3 more minutes. Add broth, chicken, and beans. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Garnish with sour cream if desired.

I do not care for cumin, so I leave that spice out. If you do not wish to have that wonderful "kick" then lessen or leave out the cayenne pepper. Also, I have tried it with and without the MJ cheese. Most of the time, I leave that out as well.

I love bowl with the garnished sour cream, but the kids do not.

Hope you enjoy this wonderful rainy day recipe!

2 comments:

  1. Save some for me when I see you next week, or better yet make a new pot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooo, I printed that one off - sounds and looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete