Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Eat the Fat!

Hydrogenated Soybean Oil. Trans Fat. High Fructose Corn Syrup. Avocados. Nuts. Fish..and the list goes on and on. There are good fats and bad fats so how do you know which are which and should you touch them at all? I think that Americans are the recipients of a lot of conflicting information about fat.

The Human body needs fat for proper immune function nervous system and maintenance, hormone production and vitamin absorption. However, it is important to limit the consumption of saturated fats. When consumed in excess amounts, fats contribute to weight gain, heart disease and certain types of cancer. Fats are not created equal. Some fats promote our health positively while others increase our risks of heart disease. The key is to replace bad fats with good fats in our diet. Consuming healthful fats is a great way to add flavor and variety to your meals and reap the associated benefits.

We started on our health journey about 7 years ago and although I'm not tooting to be an expert, I certainly know a lot more than I ever did! I've learned by trial and error what works and what taste horrible in a muffin recipe! Here are a few tidbits that I've discovered:
* Don't throw the nuts out! Yes, nuts are fattening in the sense of the word, but they are the good kind of fat! Almonds and walnuts are the cream of the crop containing unsaturated fats and essential fatty acids. Your diet needs a variety so be sure to include Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts and pine nuts. Sesame and sunflower seeds are also a good choice. Just remember...moderation!

* Which oils do I use? The worst are Canola and Vegetable oils. My favorite? Olive oil and flax seed oil. Olive oil is rich in oleic acid and omega-9 monounsaturated fat which may help fight against the development of Type 2 diabetes. I cook and bake with both of these oils.

* I am so glad I finally fell in love with avocados! I didn't start eating this wonderful fruit till about two years ago. This is what I found when I searched the internet on the benefits of this delicious fruit: "Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. They also act as a "nutrient booster" by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta-carotene and lutein, in foods that are eaten with the fruit. Avocados can reduce bad cholesterol levels while increasing good cholesterol." Be creative with this fruit - it's not just for making up an awesome batch of guacamole. Put it in your salad and on your sandwich to replace high-fattening salad dressings or mayonnaise.

* Cold-water fish is incredible. It contains high levels of monounsaturated fast and omega-3 fatty acids which help protect against heart disease, Alzheimer's disease and many forms of cancer. Eating a serving of salmon, mackerel or herring two times per week will do wonders for your body! If you do not consume enough fish, then a trusted fish oil supplement is highly recommended. We take two DHA pills from Nordic Naturals. It also supports memory, learning and neurological function.

Just remember...fat isn't your enemy! Just choose the right kind!

3 comments:

  1. I've started using all good fats some time back...and use almond butter now most often instead of peanut butter, also Olive Oil most of the time.

    Do you take Omega 3 supplements too in addition to the cold water fish you eat? I do, just in case I don't consume enough fish in a week...sometimes we don't eat it twice a week and I don't want to take that chance.

    I wasn't too big on avocados until I went to Africa and had some there and then I was like, "mmmm I like this!!!" Good stuff.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally right about the fish oil supplement - thanks for reminding me. I just edited the blog to list what we take. Don't know where my brain was! We hardly ever eat peanut butter because peanuts in themselves are so bad for you, but I did just recently switch to Almond Butter. So much better! It's really not that hard to eat healthy - it's just a matter of educating yourselves and then making the right choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use avocado instead of mayo in chicken salad.

    ReplyDelete