Thursday, December 9, 2010

Adam's Character Sketch

As the last day of school looms in the air, I assign my son an end-of-the-school-year paper. Words cannot begin to express the exuberant amount of joy that overtook his soul. Because of my crafty, witty words and over-demonstrative role playing, I was able to capture the significance of this paper with such flair that Adam was racing to the pencil box in search of a newly sharpened writing instrument...ok, ok, you have officially witnessed my first and foremost earthy gift - sarcasm :)

Seriously now, with all that aside, I would like to present to you Adam's short essay on Laura Ingalls (we are studying all eight books as part of our curriculum this year):"Laura Ingalls is a charming girl who has a blind sister that she cares for so much that she wanted her sister to go to college. Laura has always been her "eyes", meaning she tells her what she sees. She has a mom and dad who she respects and honors. She also cares for them and loves them. Laura has a baby sister named Grace. Laura watches out for her and take good care of her and has always thought Grace was beautiful. Laura never liked to be civilized. She was always wild and free and likes to be outside - just like me!"

Sentence structure has always been a challenge for Adam - even 6 months ago, writing a letter to a friend would take days and days of rough drafts and constant erasing. Considering grammar and writing are his weak spots, I think he did a pretty good job capturing the true image of Laura. Good job, little man - momma's proud of you!

By the way, son, have an awesome three week Christmas break!

2 comments:

  1. You can be proud of yourself, he is turning out to be such a loving caring person. Good job Adam....Great job MOM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I think I'm gonna cry... This is a beautifully written essay. I know you are one very proud and thankful momma!

    ReplyDelete