Friday, September 24, 2010

Home Made Noodles

I thought it was high-time I shared my moms famous home made noodle recipe. I've had so many friends ask in wonder..."You can make noodles? I thought you only bought them at a store!!" Not only can you make noodles - they are so easy that anyone can!

Homemade Noodles

1 beaten egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup white unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour

Combine all ingredients and stir with a fork until stiff dough forms. Flour the counter and roll dough very thin (you'll have to use some muscles here!) We like thin noodles, but if you want them more like dumplings, then keep them thicker. Let stand for about 20 minutes. With a dull knife, slice the dough into strips and let dry for a minimum of two hours or as long as all day. As they dry, the noodles will begin to curl up.Once the noodles are dry, break them up and throw them into a pot of boiling water to cook for about 10 minutes.

My favorite recipe is just to make chicken noodle soup. So, I toss these noodles into a pot of chicken stock with pieces of chicken. Add some salt, pepper and fresh garlic with a tad of flour to thicken the broth. Eat it in a bowl as soup or on a plate with some green beans and mashed potatoes for a meal that will leave you feeling like a bit of Heaven just visited you!

Happy eating!
Rhonda

3 comments:

  1. Thank you sweetheart, that was so nice that you gave ME credit for that receipe. Actually I found it in the Better Homes & Gardens red checkered cookbook that I got for my wedding and yes the book is falling apart since the book is 45 years old.
    But you are right, it is a little bit of Heaven.
    I love you honey,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this!!! Question: it looks like you made this right on your countertop. How do you cut them without the counter being ruined? Do you just do it real lightly?

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny! I had no idea where you originally got the recipe from! I'll make this for you Deanna, if you end up coming out here to speak. Yes, I cut them right on my counter top - it is granite, so I cut everything on it. If you don't have granite then just flip your knife over and use the dull side. You don't need anything sharp; just enough to 'cut' through the soft dough.

    ReplyDelete