Monday, May 17, 2010

Dinner Time!

This easy one-dish recipe has been a favorite for several years in our home. It is quite versatile and can be made to suit your taste. I usually use whatever I have on hand. Today I made it with frozen corn instead of green beans; one small fresh tomato with one can of diced tomatoes; only one carrot (all I had) and a handful of tiny red potatoes.

Vegetable Beef Casserole

3 medium unpeeled potatoes, slices
3 medium carrots, sliced
3 celery ribs, chopped
2 cups fresh or frozen green beans
1 medium chopped onion
1 pound cooked ground beef
1 teas dried thyme
1 teas salt
1 teas pepper
4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I only use 1/2 cup)

The recipe says to layer everything, but I just throw it all in a huge bowl, mix it together and flop it in the casserole dish (except the cheese). The thyme is what brings back memories for me - it taste like a camping meal that my dad and mom used to cook over the open fire.
It's as easy as that...cover and bake at 400 for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese till melted.Waa-laa...serve with some fresh home made bread and a green salad and they will be begging for more!

3 comments:

  1. Sure sounds good to me, I'll have some when we come out, you are such a great cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for a meatless meal for two days a week, maybe I will try it without the beef. Looks good and I bet Jerry would like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually looks pretty good, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete