Friday, June 8, 2012

Super Easy Healthy Granola

If you google "homemade granola recipes", you will be shocked at the numerous variations out there.  In my book, granola should be easy.  The recipes that had 10+ ingredients and a cooking time of over an hour, never made it past a second glance for me!  I honestly can't remember where I found this one, but I can promise you that it doesn't get much easier than this.  I made this just today and decided to add the vanilla - excellent addition, I will have to say!  Sometimes, I don't even add the nuts - so then we're talking about FIVE ingredients!  Get your bowl and spoon ready for a 5-star recipe!



2 cups regular rolled oats
1/2 cup local, raw honey
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup sliced almonds or walnuts
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Thoroughly mix and pour onto a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper (I do this so I don't have to wash the pan!)  Bake at 300 for 30-35 minutes, stirring at 15 minutes.

Do NOT cook more than 35 minutes, even though you will have a strong desire to.  The granola will still look "wet" but it will harden within minutes of being removed from the oven.

Turn out onto wax paper (or just pick up the parchment paper from the hot cookie sheet) so that the granola will cool.  Add any dried fruit at this time.

Ready to eat within 5-10 minutes.  Will keep for two weeks at room temperature or freeze for 6 months.  Of course, ours is always gone within the two week time frame, so no worries here!

My son and I eat it plain ... my daughter adds raisins and eats it with yogurt ...  my hubby eats it as cereal - it's such a universal food!

Happy eating!














No comments:

Post a Comment