Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Crisscross Apple Crowns

Not only do we love every kind of apple dessert in our family, but if they receive an "A" for presentation, then the recipe is a keeper!

These are just basically mini apple pies, but much cuter!

3 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut
3 T of honey
2 T flour
2-4 t cinnamon (we like a lot of cinnamon!)
dash of salt
1 package large refrigerated biscuits
2 t melted butter

Mix the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Roll each biscuit out to approximately a 5" circle. Scoop 1-2 tablespoons of apple mixture onto the flattened biscuit. Pull up sides and pinch edges to seal. Place seam side down in an ungreased muffin tin. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with more cinnamon (and a smidgen of sugar if you must). Cut an "X" on the top and then bake for 18-22 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes 8 "crowns".

Of course, we had to serve them with Vanilla Bean ice cream, which sort of made them only halfway healthy (is there such a thing?)

I will have to say that the next time I make these, I will make my own healthy whole-wheat pie dough. The biscuits were too doughy for me and too thick at the seam. My family happens to disagree with me, so I'll just make the change and see if they notice the next time!

Happy baking my friends!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I've made these using canned pie filling. I'm sure they're better with fresh fruit. Thanks for the reminder of this delicious treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious, send me over some, please

    ReplyDelete