Monday, May 28, 2012

Healthy Peppermint Patties

The last two months have been crazy, wild here with no time or energy to blog even a sentence. Here is a fast, drive-by post for these delicious treats that I made for a party tonight. I have been trying to incorporate coconut oil into our diet and life style in every way possible. I'll post the benefits of coconut oil latter this week.

When I found this recipe, I just had to give it a try - especially since it only has 4 ingredients!  I used honey instead of agave nectar and used 6 drops of peppermint oil. We all agree that next time I will lessen the honey by a tablespoon and use 2 more drops of peppermint oil. I do NOT recommend using any peppermint oil other than Young Living, since they are therapeutic grade and safe (as well as healthy) for digestion.  I can order this for you at my cost, if you need any.
1/2 cup coconut oil

1/4 cup agave nectar (or honey)

5-7 drops of Young Living therapeutic grade Peppermint Essential Oil

1/2 to 1 cup dark chocolate or bittersweet chocolate chips, melted (or dark chocolate melting chips)

In a small bowl, combine coconut oil, agave or honey, and peppermint oil, mixing with a spoon. Smash clumps of coconut oil against side of bowl until mixture is smooth. Freeze mixture for a few minutes until it starts to harden, then remove from freezer. Use a small spoon to measure out little balls onto a parchment paper lined plate. Lightly “squoosh” balls into flat patties. Place plate in freezer until firm. Using a spoon, dip patties into melted chocolate. Place patties on parchment paper to harden (takes 5-10 minutes). On a hot day, you may want to place in the refrigerator.

NOTE: You modify this recipe and make “Orange Dreamsicle Patties” by using orange essential oil instead of peppermint.

I made these in about 10 minutes and everyone loved them. I took them in a cooler on ice as they melt quickly at room temperature. Coconut oil turns liquid at 76 degrees, so this is a recipe to make and then refrigerate until ready to eat. Make them into small patties - one inch or smaller - so that you can just pop the whole thing in your mouth (the chocolate will melt quickly and become messy!)

Enjoy several of these within minutes, knowing that this is the healthiest, sweet, treat you will probably ever make!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing Rhonda! I am going to try the recipe and share it with my family!

    ReplyDelete