Thursday, April 5, 2012

I Ran Away with My Hubby!

Even though it's already been two weeks since we did it, I still feel exhilarated and a little giddy inside when I think about the reality of what we did.

In our 21 years of marriage, we have never, EVER, left the state (or even the city, for that matter) WITHOUT THE KIDS!

My husband and I had been wanting to visit Las Vegas with our dear friends for several years now. We just decided that the timing was perfect so we took the plunge and ran away for three days -- without looking back!

Just so you don't think we crossed the line and became irresponsible parents, Nap Nanny was staying at our house and looking after the kids while we were gone. Also, don't forget that my kids are all teenagers; ages 14-19 (wow, am I really that old??)

After we realized we needed to stay AWAY from the strip (they don't call it the City of Sin for just any reason), we found ourselves enamored with the immense town, the magnificent hotels and the incredible, whirlwind of activities just waiting for our enjoyment. Caesars Palace was probably my favorite. Then there was the dolphin show and the fascinating lions and tigers, the breath-taking water and light show to Frank Sinatra's soothing voice, the Hoover Dam, the Gondola Ride at the Venetian, the Fremont Street Experience with 12.5 million synchronized LED lamps, the famous Gold and Silver Pawn Shop from Pawn Stars AND the view from the top of the Stratosphere. The shows, which was the main reason for the trip, are nearly beyond description. We saw KA and Blue Man Group but my favorite was Mystere Cirque. Thanks to my main squeeze, we had 3rd row seats, so our view was spectacular!

Aside from the shows and the shopping, the event that left a lasting impression was driving to Bootleg Canyon to zip line! I have always wanted to do this, so another bucket list item has officially been checked off! We soared from the top of Red Mountain gaining an eagle's eye view of this desert area - a total of four times! You just can't imagine what it feels like to be suspended from cables while sitting in a para-gliding harness exploring the mountain from an aerial trail (unless you've done this before!)

We crashed every night at midnight or later whining because of our throbbing legs, only to do it all over again the next day! I am also excited to report that my friend and I BOTH lost 2 pounds on this fast track vacation! Our calf muscles prove how much walking we did!

My hubby and I have truly done our best to enjoy the kids during each stage of their lives. I can honestly attest to really enjoying the freedom that comes with having three teenagers who are nearly self-sufficient!

Before I start becoming ungrateful for my trip, (all this reminiscing has made me want to plan another one!) I will leave you with a few pics of our adventure. Enjoy life - it really is too short!





3 comments:

  1. I am glad you guys had fun. Jay and I have been there together and we loved it. There are so many things to do that have nothing to do with the alcohol and gambling. So many shows, attractions and many that are even free. It's always good to get away for a while. I loved the pictures. Good for you guys. (Remind me of this in a few years when I have children of my own running around my house) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you dearly, my friend! So thankful to have shared such a memorable trip with you guys! I think we need to make this an annual trip! ;-)

    ReplyDelete