Sunday, January 22, 2012

Progressing Upward!

After being on a monotonous plateau for weeks on end, I can excitedly say that we have achieved some forward progression.

With a twinkle in my eyes and goose bumps on my arms, I am elated to report that my daughter can definitely hear better! I have had nothing monumental or even note worthy to share about her implant journey for 5 or 6 weeks. However, I am now busting at the seems to give God the glory on three specific happenings within the past few weeks.

Just two weeks ago, Adam was in his room making some boy noises while playing with his Legos. Victoria was reading in the family room, which is approximately 25 feet from his room. After a few moments, she asked what the noise was. I had to stop and listen and then commented that it was probably the humming from the ceiling fans. She seemed puzzled but went on reading. She then insisted that it couldn't be the fans and asked where Adam was. When I told her he was in his room playing, she stated that she heard him making noises! I was shocked considering the distance to his room. When Adam came out of his room, she asked him if he was making noises with his mouth. He sheepishly answered yes and wanted to know how she knew that. SHE HEARD HIM!!

Episode number two...Victoria was at home alone while I was with Adam at guitar lessons on Tuesday. In a panic, she began texting me to tell me that she heard a very loud popping sound. It eventually frightened her since she had no idea what the sound was or where it was coming from. The texting went on for 5-10 minutes as I tried to assure her that it was probably the freezer or the ice maker. She even called me asking if I could hear it through the phone. Finally, with much glee in her words, she texted me to say she had found the sound - it was my crockpot lid "popping" since it had moisture around the edges! I was flabbergasted when I walked into the kitchen and heard the sound myself. Why, you ask? Because it wasn't loud or irritating or scary. I just cannot believe she heard that from her bedroom and considered it loud!

She is also more aware of environmental sounds and actually asking me what they are - a definite positive step in the right direction!

Okay - are you ready?

Here we go for the grand finale. Sit down for this one because you'll want to stand and scream "GLORY" after you read this!

We were at a friend's house in the kitchen while Victoria was in their family room watching a movie. She could not see me at all. I wanted to ask her a question, so I called her name. I expected her to answer me and then, like normal, she would have to come into the kitchen to see what I wanted. However, this time proved to be different. I called her name and she answered, "What?" Then I asked, "Are you crocheting?" She responded with a no. Then I said, "Well, you need to crochet that white flower for the headband so that it will be ready for tomorrow." In case you didn't catch that last sentence - that was a LOT of words for a deaf person to hear AND understand. Remember, she can't even see my body much less read my lips. Bear in mind that this has never, ever happened before. Here comes the GLORY part - not only did she hear me AND understand me, but she answered me with, "Ok, I will make it when this movie is over." ARE YOUR GRASPING THIS???

The four of us at the table just sat there for a second in disbelief and complete amazement - I just had a two-person dialog with my deaf daughter from another room! The goose bumps were huge on my arms and then I realized...she has finally accepted the implants. She is embracing them and utilizing them to their fullest capacity.

It was worth it.

Patience and perseverance did shine through - and with vibrant colors!I am so very proud of my little princess. So hard to imagine that God loves her more than I do!

9 comments:

  1. I can't begin to tell you how happy that I am for all of you, but especially for Victoria. I know that God has sent her this huge gift and we all are so proud of her and the whole family for that matter, for being so patience with her in her new learning process and her new adventure. Love to all...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some very, very great news, PTL!

    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome and I will think of that evertime I wear my headband. The inspiration that you are to other, Vicotria, you will probably never truely know. And the love and spirit your family shows is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome to read this, Rhonda. Victoria has been blessed to have such a loving, caring family to guide her through this transition. God has also blessed you all with an amazing daughter!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!!! That is awesome!!!! Can you see how excited I am for you?!!!! This is great!!!!! I love it!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!! God is great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tears rolling down my face as I type this.... I am SO happy for her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glory, I'm so happy to hear that and welcome to the hearing world
    thank God
    Tim

    ReplyDelete