Sunday, November 6, 2011

Thankful for My Heritage

I experienced something very odd a few weeks ago. Due to other events at home, we chose to attend the traditional first service at our church instead of the second service which is contemporary.

When I first walked in, I was shocked at the songs they were singing. I knew it was a traditional service but really wasn't expecting songs from my childhood.

'Blessed Assurance' along with 'Look What the Lord Has Done' and 'I Will Enter His Gates' were songs I sang as a preteen! I will have to admit that my initial thought was, "I cannot believe they are still singing these songs!" It only took a nano second for the Lord to convict me and remind me that I was saved on these songs. The words still ring true and with passion. Within minutes, I began worshipping with a lump in my throat as we sung 'You are Awesome in This Place' and 'Come Holy Spirit'. I only had Adam with me who looked rather perplexed at the style of music and the change in my behavior. I knew right then that Hymn 101 was a new class that would start in my home the next week!

I borrowed a hymn book from the church and then spent some time Monday morning explaining my heritage to the kids. I sang as I spoke and wept as I sang. For me, it was a moving moment that I wanted my kids to experience. We read the words to 'Amazing Grace', 'There is Power in the Blood', 'What a Day That Will Be' and 'How Great Thou Art'. Then I began sharing with them my limited knowledge of the historical background of the writers of these precious old hymns and their incredible journeys in life.

Fanny Crosby, blind from childhood, was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 1975 and is known as the "Queen of Gospel Song Writers. She was a rescue mission worker, poet, lyricist and composer with over 9000 songs in print as well as 1,000 poems. She was also an incredible public speaker, played the organ and gave piano lessons...let's not forget that she was blind!

That first service worship experience was so rewarding, that I decided to do it again. With both kids in hand, we greeted the predominately older folks and began to worship with them. While we sang 'In The Presence of Jehovah', I could hear my mom harmonizing with me in my mind. Oh, what powerful words 'He is Here, You Can Touch Him' possess!

I was so blessed and elated when a message in tongues was given. Paraphrased..."I am here now with you to bless you. I will give you My strength. I am yours and your are Mine. Together we are victorious."

Amen!! I accept that, Lord! I'll take Your blessings AND the victories!

I don't feel it or say it enough, but I am extremely grateful for my Christian heritage. I enjoy the contemporary services as much as anyone else, but I treasure the hymns - they made me who I am. They shaped my hope and strengthened my faith. Thank you, mom and dad, for the Godly heritage you gave me!

3 comments:

  1. I agree, Rhonda. We sang How Great Thou Art acapella this past Sunday and I cried. I grew up on these old hymns sung acapella and I still love to hear just the voices singing to each other and to God. Don't get me wrong, I love the contemporary music and the instruments now, but oh, the old songs strike something deep within me. Tonight after dinner my family was reading the book "Don't all Religions Lead to God?" Tonight's chapter talked about relilgions for over 1,000 year seeking their gods, but they still haven't found them, but in the Christian religion our God seeks us. I then quoted one of my favorite hymns I grew up on "Revive us Again". One of the verses says "All glory and praise to the God of all grace, who has bought us, and SOUGHT us, and guided our ways" Those words are still in me and I love them

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome sweet daughter. I too love those old hymns, in my mind I'm singing with my precious Daddy and making beautiful harmony. One of my favorite quartet songs was "I'll See You in the Rapture."
    I love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true!! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete