Monday, April 4, 2011

I'm a Proud Momma!

Breathtaking.

That is the best word I can use to describe what it is like to see God working in your children's lives. To see the pages of their book unfold...to witness their score being written...to become speechless as you observe their journey from the confinements of a cocoon to the liberated fullness of life as they spread their wings!

I have seen this take place in Victoria over the past two years since we have been involved in a home school co-op. Victoria's deafness and home schooled environment presents a double-whammy when it comes to her social skills and getting her to participate in things outside of her "box".

Even though I am constantly pushing the boundaries of her comfort zone, this co-op was not one of my intended avenues. We only joined this co-op for the Chemistry class and to learn ASL. That was MY purpose and goal. However, a week later, we discovered what God really had in store for us! When I first chatted with Mrs. Shannon about our family and enrollment, she shared with me the various dance classes that she teaches. Regretfully, I let her know that Victoria was deaf and wouldn't be able to be a part of her ballet, jazz or tap classes. We were just needing science...

Shannon greatly encouraged me while gently nudging me to let Victoria try some classes. She has worked with children with disabilities for over 20 years and she was just sure that Victoria would excel.

I hope you are sitting down because you are about to witness proof that our God-given teacher was right - not even two years later I sit in amazement of my daughter and her ability to dance in all three classes! She dances all day on Friday (about 4 hours) in ballet, jazz and tap. This is a video of Victoria and her friend, Anna's, tap duet. You must keep in mind that both girls are profoundly deaf!



Mrs. Shannon is an inspiring miracle worker, in my opinion. She works with students that have various kinds of disabilities - mental and physical - and teaches about 30 classes a week. She has been a "dream come true" for my little girl and yet she is completely unaware of the transformation that has taken place in Victoria since she did not know Victoria before co-op.

Thank you, Mrs. Shannon. For your dedication, perseverance, patience and witty humor. My daughter and I both love you to pieces and am so thankful that you are following God's calling AND that He led me to you at just the right time!

7 comments:

  1. Her teacher isn't Shannon Wrights by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's incredible! What studio is she at? From the video I want to get Poteet but I could be wrong. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Rhonda! That is so exciting! What a beautiful thing. Thanks for sharing, and please tell Victoria how much I enjoyed watching her dance!

    Love you,

    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  4. That made me cry! Awesome! SH

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes and Yes - the Poteet Theater and Shannon Wright - do you know her, Joy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was wonderful!!!! I am so proud of her! Shawna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was there, I watched in complete amazement as I watched my precious granddaughter dance, it was so beautiful and yes, her teacher is amazing also.
    I love you Victoria
    Nanny

    ReplyDelete